Monday, July 9, 2007

Jacob The Killer Miller


This, so far, has been my favourite collection of Jacob Miller songs. For those of you unfamiliar with Jacob Miller: He was a Jamaican reggae singer who was born on May 4, 1952, and died at the young age of 27 in a car accident on March 23, 1980....immediately before his BIG musical break with an international record deal with Island Records, and a tour with Bob Marley and Inner Circle through Brazil and beyond.

In the lyrics for The Salads' "Get Loose", I wrote at the end of the second verse: "If your belly is hungry - Givin' you attitude - Do like Jacob Miller and eat some food". This was in relation to the scenes of him chowin' down, and fighting people who touched his food, in the movie "Rockers"...One of my favourite movies! Another classic scene is Inner Circle's performance of "Tenement Yard" with Jacob Miller. SO good.

I also hoped that in mentioning Jacob Miller in my lyrics, hopefully a few people out there would start asking, "Who's Jacob Miller?" And sure enough, as we began touring for that album, a LOT of kids who were reading my lyrics in the liner notes began asking me who Jacob Miller is.....and THEN I would hear from fans who went and checked out the music of Jacob Miller, and LOVED him.

THAT is why I do what I do, folks. THAT is why I love writing/recording/performing for excited fans. THAT is why I post this music here on this blog. I love helping people find music that might move and inspire them. Y'dig? If so, lemme know.

And dig the fantastic, Killer Miller, y'all....

DOWNLOAD> JACOB MILLER - Collector's Classics

PEACE.1.D.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jacob millers music is amazing!!! krazy love for him. Inner cirle isnt the same without him